Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Making the Impossible Possible

Dr. Amen talks about the ANTS in your head (automatic negative thoughts) and suggests getting them out of your head, and replacing them. Carol Tuttle has a similar approach that she used, to do something that she originally never thought possible. She ran a marathon... which then led to 15 marathons!
http://thecarolblog.com/how-to-make-the-impossible-possible/

The basic idea with all of these is when you have a negative thought or belief, do something to get the thought out of your head (this helps recognize when it's an irrational thought, or one contrary to your values), and then replace it with a positive belief. Here's some excerpts


Have you ever wanted to accomplish something BIG…yet believed there was no way on earth you could possibly do it?

Years ago, if you had told me I was going to complete a full marathon, I would not have believed you.

The thought of running 26.2 miles at one time was inconceivable to me. It truly overwhelmed and scared me. I believed there was no way I could do something like that.

Yet deep within me there was a desire to collapse those limiting beliefs and take on the challenge to believe that I could do it.

If there’s something blocking you from your future accomplishment, here’s the energy clearing process I used in order to go from “No, I can’t” to an unwavering “Yes I can…and I did!”

.....

First, I had to acknowledge my limiting belief, and then challenge it with another possibility and choice.
Identifying and then clearing your limiting beliefs helps you open up your energy so you can “open up” to the possibility of creating your desired outcome.
For me, the next step meant taking some kind of action in the direction of my goal. I was not going to become a marathon runner by remaining in bed saying affirmations.
....

 Since I was a beginning marathon runner, I chose to start with run-walk intervals and run for 9 minutes followed by a 1-minute walk.
During those 1-minute intervals I incorporated my “energy clearing sessions.” These are the phrases I repeated:
  • Even though I can’t believe I am doing this, I am excited to take on the challenge.
  • Even though it scares me that I may die trying, I am letting go of the fear.
As my distance began to increase week by week, I included statements like:
  • Even though I don’t feel like getting up so early and running so far, I am staying true to my goal.
  • Even though I don’t feel like running right now, I am committed to the outcome.

Give this a try next time you have something difficult or scary to do. I practiced this week for a presentation I made to a group of business intelligence engineers. Feeling the familiar butterflies in my stomach before it started, I grabbed some post it notes and jotted down what thoughts were popping in my head. I made notes next to those thoughts, to point out irrational beliefs, and challenge them. Then I crumpled up the note and threw it away. This was symbolic for me and my brain that I'm getting rid of those thoughts. The presentation went well, and I was more at ease. Give it a try!



No comments:

Post a Comment